Saturday, February 25, 2012

heaven's celebration

I had an unexpected, yet sweet moment on the way to taking our son to preschool last week. It started when he asked what happened to all the people in the bible. I said that they lived a long time ago, but those who loved Jesus are in heaven now and we'll get to meet them someday when we are in heaven. The conversation continued with questions and thoughts about Jesus and heaven and it came to a point where I asked him if he wanted to ask Jesus to come and live in his heart. He said yes and said he would pray. But when he began, he didn't know what to say. I asked if he wanted me to pray first and he could repeat. When he said yes, I pulled over to the side of the road because this wasn't just any old prayer to say while driving. So, with the engine running and the car parked just outside of the round-about by our neighborhood, he asked Jesus into his heart. When we finished, I looked back in the rear view mirror and he had his shy-looking smile on his face. It was a simple, yet powerful moment.
We talked about his prayer on the rest of the drive to preschool. I kept telling him how excited Jesus was and that there was a big party going on in heaven. I also told him that when ever someone asks when he asked Jesus into his heart, he can tell them he was sitting in his car seat, pulled over on the side of the road and he prayed the prayer with his mom and his little sister sitting next to him. I pray that the moment does hold firm in his heart.
What a humbling moment to be able to share that prayer with your child. I was shaking with reverence all morning and I realized the impact that his prayer was having on my own heart. I also recognize that when the holy spirit is prompting you, don't shy away from it. Our son is pretty young to make such an important prayer and I could have just let the conversation about heaven fade away. But something was telling me to ask him if he wanted to ask Jesus into his heart. That moment and opportunity may have been lost. God is working and it's amazing to see Him work in little hearts too.

2 comments:

  1. My sweet Levi. What a party we will have:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God Megan! So Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete