Wednesday, February 15, 2012

bread

Hi! It's Megan here. I'm kind of excited to jump into this blog and share my heart. I've had some thoughts swirling around in my head so I guess it's time to put those thoughts into action and share them with the world. As we cross the two-week mark of this intense journey, there have definitely been some big changes in my heart and in my body.

On day nine, I wrote the following in my journal "Beyond the food, I don't feel deeper spiritually. I know it's not always about a feeling, but I pray that God would move in my heart. I pray that I can be more aware of what He has for me. God, are you there?" It's funny to read that statement because the very next day He spoke.

Bread is not on my list of 7 foods this month. But a big, thick slice of homemade bread invades all my senses and makes my mouth water constantly. Oh, how I crave just one piece of that bread! As I was taking a long walk on day ten, I realized that not only was I craving literal bread, but I was craving spiritual bread too. I knew instantly that it was not just a coincidence, but a lesson in the making. You see, I grew up on bread. I was around it all the time. It was a staple at our family dinner table. Bread was always a part of my life and although it was important to me, there was no need to miss it or wish for more of it. What I had was satisfying and comforting. But as I have gotten older, I have noticed that even though bread is usually a part of my daily life, I don't each much of it. I've even tried different types of bread that end up being more processed or are filled with lots of extras that are supposed to make it more healthy. Hmmmm, ironic, isnt' it.

As I continued to walk, so many analogies of bread, Jesus and my life came flooding through my head. God was so clearly saying I need more of Him to satisfy my heart and soul...just like I am needing the real thing in my physical diet. John 6:35 talks about Jesus being the ultimate bread of life and that those who come to Him will never be hungry, but rather, they will be satisfied and crave no more. Jesus is to the soul what bread is to the body.

When I was a little girl, my grandparents had the phrase "give us this day our daily bread" painted in big letters on their kitchen wall. I am beyond grateful for the heritage I have in my life and for being able to grow up in a Godly home. But I'm a big girl now and I'm raising my own family. I pray that I can exemplify and live out a Godly, Jesus-loving, soul-satisfying relationship that only Jesus, the ultimate bread of life, can fulfill. This is a crazy seven month journey we are on but the daily sacrifice that "7" is bringing to my life will be well worth the lessons and motivations that are moving in my heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment